3.07.2008

What You Need

"Hey, here is the story:
Forget about your troubles in life.
Don't you know it's not easy
When you've gotta walk upon that line?

That's why -
You need
That's what - this is what you need.
I'll give you what you need.

Don't you get sad and lonely.
You need a change from what you do all day.
Ain't no sense in all your crying,
Just pick it up and throw it into shape.

That's why - you need.
That's what - this is what you need. . ." - INXS


Can you tell I was a teen in the eighties?


When I write my blog each day for you, dear reader, it serves a dual purpose. The first is theraputic. When I see my life in words on a screen with the pretty pink and green background, it doesn't seem so dark and crazy.

The second is that I have spent years getting to a point in my life where I feel comfortable with who I am as a Mom. When they hand you a squirmy pink human in the hospital for the first time, suddenly everything you thought you knew about your competence and place in the universe goes flying right out of your head. Recovering who you are can be a process!

I would love to save some other Mom from all the self-doubt and worry that I had to go through to get to my Happy Place. My Mom always says that free advice is worth what it is worth. When you're a Mom, free advice exists in abundance. I wish I'd have spent less time fretting over advice and more time following my heart. . .and learned earlier to let the water flow on under the bridge. There is no "Perfect." Learning to accept that and move on is the best gift a Mom can give herself.

That doesn't mean that I don't have my moments. But at least I can see them coming on and deal with them - before I start all my crying, I pick it up and throw it into shape. And rocking out to a little INXS helps, too. Sometimes that's all you need. . .

Have fun!

No comments: