2.12.2008

"Teaching" vs. "Taking Notes"

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates



I received a call from a teacher.

"Your daughter is very disrespectful in my class."

MY daughter? I thought to myself. Have you called the right number??

"Well, that doesn't sound like her. We insist that our children conduct themselves accordingly. I will certainly talk to her."

So, here's the deal: Fifteen for a Moment had a wonderful and engaging teacher for World History. . .the nerve of the woman to move away! The new teacher is a "take the notes, take the test" sort-of girl. The students, well, don't care much for her. I guess it shows.

But hey, that's life, right? We all have to deal with people and circumstances that are less than ideal.

Still, when the purpose is to educate someone, why wouldn't we want to find a way that is not so gosh-awful boring? I've had those kinds of classes before. . .teachers who bragged about the low percentage of students who passed their class, pages upon pages of meaningless notes. If the medium you are using to impart your wisdom is not effective, wouldn't that mean you're not TEACHING?

I've always been supportive of the efforts of my children's teachers - I cannot begin to imagine how difficult their job is. I tell my children, when you are in that class, the teacher is the honcho and you, the student, are to sit there and do your job. Even if it bores you to sleep.

In "Perfect" all of the classes are interesting and all of the students are inspired to learn.

What IS the zip code for "Perfect" anyway? I think I am ready to make the move. . .

No comments: