2.07.2008

Another Brick in the Wall

"We don't need no education.
We don't need no thought control. . .

All in all you're just another brick in the wall." - Pink Floyd




I like to drive my daughter to school. It gives us ten uninterrupted minutes to talk to each other.

"Mom, my friends got suspended for three days for walking with their arms around each other!"

Wow. That seems a little harsh. I listened as she went on.

"And the principal came on the announcements and said 'Blah blah blah blah.'" She dropped her voice about eight octaves, "'Teachers, we're taking the school back!'"

Is it that bad? I thought about walking through the hallways on my way to guidance the other day. Kids shuffling six abreast, cursing like sailors, one throwing a shoulder into me when I said, "Excuse me." Yeah, I guess it is that bad.

"Well, honey, it's sad that kids who are there to do their thing have to suffer because of the ones who can't behave."

"Yeah, they've been arresting people for fighting. The police are there, like, every day."

I relayed my experience to her, including the shoulder. "Oh, Mom, you were lucky they didn't knock you down or tell you they were gonna cut you. I used to say 'excuse me,' now I just drop my shoulder and give it back."

It's certainly not the high school I remember. . .and I attended three different high schools! This one sounds more like a dang battle zone. Forget learning, try just surviving.

"Oh, and THEN he said to remember that we were there to get an education."

"Well, isn't that why you are there, dear?"

"Heck no! I'm there for ROTC and to see my friends. The education is just a bonus!"

Well, at least MY child has her priorities straight.

Keep your head low, low, low, low, low, low, low, low baby! (She's got the legs with no FUR, and the baggy sweat pants!)

No comments: