1.25.2008

Weirdos

"You're so very special.
I wish I was special. . .

But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo.
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here.
I don't belong here." - Radiohead



“If we will be quiet and ready enough, we shall find compensation in every disappointment.” - Henry David Thoreau



January is usually the time when I start making appointments. But alas, amidst the doctor's appointments, the dentist's appointments, the hair appointments - there exist disappointments.

My young Thespian has answered THE question. . .a spot on the Spring Improv Troupe is not to be. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, some have greatness thrust upon them and some just say, "Well, I had a great time trying," and move on to the next thing. There was no, "It's not fair!" or "Those people suck!" (well, not from him. . .my baby is too good for their dumb production, anyway. . .don't tell him I said that, just my mommy reflex!!!)

The Dater has discovered that sometimes just being really cute is not enough. If there is no chemistry between the datees, it's probably best for all parties to begin a Journey on their Seperate Ways ("Some day, love will find you. . ." does anyone have a lighter I can hold in the air??)

I believe she is handling the situation with kindness and compassion. I reminded her that, no matter how nice she was, there was bound to be hurt. She said she'd accept any angry words for what they were, but she ran through her delivery of the news with me and I can't imagine there would be any ugliness.

I'm often told by others that it is nice that my teens are courteous and genuinely concerned about the feelings of others. I think that characteristic in them is more important to me than any of their achievments or awards or affiliations. It seems that being aware helps them recognize and forgive their own disappointments - and inspires them to look beyond to the windows that open when doors close.

So, between dis-appointment and dat-appointment, we recognize that, just because you don't belong somewhere, it doesn't mean you're a weirdo. Or, maybe it does. Maybe being a weirdo isn't such a bad thing. . .

Have fun!

1 comment:

MOMSWEB said...

Looooved this! You're right, your baby was too good for them anyway! Every closed door leads to THE open door.