10.23.2007

The Human Condition

"Get me out into the nighttime!
Four walls won't hold me tonight.
If this town is just an apple,
Then let me take a bite.

If they say, "Why? Why?"
Tell 'em that is human nature. . ." - Michael Jackson (Pre-weird)




We are born. We live. We die. That is the human condition. It sounds so simple. And yet, we refer to it's span as a "lifetime," a word that generally evokes lengthy connotations.

From my vantage in the fair-booth ticket window, I bear witness to the results of the myriad of choices in-between the start and finish. People from all walks have looked in my eye or avoided it, asked for a ticket or assumed that I could read minds, handed over their hard-earned or easily expended cash.

I have granted audience to the tired, the poor, the huddled masses yearning to ride the Wild Claw. . . touching them for the briefest moment in the most intimate portions of their wallets, their purses, their (ew!) socks and brassieres as I separated them from their cash.

And while the odors of the inconsiderate (the smokers, the intoxicated, the heavily perfumed and the onion-eaters) have offered offense, hope springs eternal from the oft-pierced lips of teenagers who remember to say, "Thank you."

In our quest to make the world a better place, a little respect and politeness are a good place to start.

See you at the fair!

No comments: