5.26.2007

Embarassing Moments

"Pride goeth before a fall." - Hebrew Proverb (probably a mom!)

"Lovin' you has got to be
Like the Devil and the deep blue sea.
Forget about your foolish pride.
Take me to the other side." - Aerosmith

I have to be careful about what I write here because I don't want to embarrass my kids. Not that they would afford me the same courtesy. . .

Now that I think about it, I don't know that I mind a little maternal mortification every now and then. Like the time I did the "straight A" dance for my daughter at the car-rider pickup. Or the way I would holler after my oldest son, "You look sooooooooo grown-up! I love you, big man!" if he forgot to tell me he loved me before getting out of the car.

Of course, there's always a song to fit any occasion if I need to remind them to lighten up.

My younger son and daughter don't embarrass as easily - they usually join in the frivolity. They are acclimated.

I would offer this advice to a new mother: put NOTHING past your child. You can be Donna Reed in flip flops and demand "yes ma'am" and "please" and avoid the cartoons on Nickelodeon - if you ever, EVER use the words "Not my child!" - they WILL come back to haunt you.

Those moments may leave you feeling a little chagrined, but maintain your composure and remember that what goes around comes around.


(My Mother STILL tells a story about my Dad's boss coming over for dinner during my potty training years. She also still calls me "Lollipop." Go ahead, roll your eyes with me. . . )

Some day, if wishes come true, my kids will have kids of their own. And those kids and I will have much to discuss. . .

Have fun!

No comments: