3.12.2008

Raiders of the Lost Art

Some day I will figure out how to add music to this blog. However, for those of you who are reading this on the sly, maybe that's not such a good idea. Let's just keep it in our heads, shall we?

Cue theme from "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

I've been taking Fifteen for a Moment up to take her FCAT. Yes, yes I have. Wait! There's a good reason. Well, a couple of them.

Now that she's homeschooled, she's not required by law to take it. BUT, if she is going to receive a real diploma, she'll have to have it (I think.) I've also heard rumor that we can use her ACT or SAT scores as a substitute. . .I'll have to do more research and get back to you. Why do they have to make it so dang confusing???

From my moderately educated position, I told her, "Hey, it doesn't matter how you do on it anyway!"

"Really? Cool!"

"Yep, this year, your FCAT is moot!"

"Mom, why do you always use those big words??" If I hadn't been driving, I'd have closed my eyes and shaken my head.

We've also been waiting for her classes at FLVS to activate - it can sometimes take a couple of weeks. Monday morning, I suggested to her that we read a book.

"Why would I read a book, Mom?" She talks to me while texting someone else.

"For information! For entertainment! It doesn't matter what book, let's go find something that you'll wind up reading anyway. Orwell, Fitzgerald, Austen. . ." The way her thumbs were moving looked unnatural.

"Ugh! That sounds sooooo exciting. . .NOT!" Well, sarcasm while thumbing. At least she can multi-task.

"PUT THAT PHONE DOWN!" Oh! Hello. Eye contact! I dragged her reluctant self to the bookstore where,after a good hour and a half, we chose a timeless classic from the "It Girl" series. (Yes, she comes by that sarcasm honestly.) Her criteria was "something thin, not old, with short words."

Smut will have to do in the interim. My plan is to get Miss "Switched at Birth" reading, then drop in something worthwhile when she's not looking.

Recently, we read the assigned works (someone send me a note and tell me how to underline on this thing, please!) "Anthem" and "Farenheit 451" - I wish I'd have insisted on going through "Julius Ceasar" with her, but she suffered through it with her English teacher and it came off as "stupid." If I don't stay on her about it, she'd never read anything more compelling than "Teen Vogue." Between the frenzy of school, work and the extra-curricular, reading has just gotten lost.

Oh, but "nutenymure." (In my best Pepe Le Pew.)

I figured it wouldn't hurt for her to get out of the house for a couple of mornings and fill in some bubbles. It will be interesting to see if this no-pressure angle improves her scores any. And being away from me for a few hours may save her life!

So here I go, the Raider of the Lost Art of Reading. Like Indy, I'm just making this up as I go! Throw me my whip. . .

Have fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up, Lara! Hopefully she'll come to understand how important literature is.