2.26.2008

Gettin' Skooled

"If I go there will be trouble
But if I stay it could be double. . ." - The Clash


It is the instinct of the mother to protect her young. Some days, it's as simple as protecting them from eating too much candy, or from the horror of having a messy room.

But what do you do when you feel like you need to protect them from going to school?

Fifteen for a Moment is so distraught - her dad and I have decided that she's not going back to public school. "But what about my friends? What about ROTC? It's NOT FAIR!"

No, darling, it's not. I hope she understands that our decision has not come lightly, or without a great deal of thought.

We've just had enough.

Who's to blame? The school district, the government, society? I guess it doesn't matter. Because whoever is to blame, it's up to us to make our own choices.

Even if it stinks.

No comments: