12.31.2007

I Feel So Dang Auld!

"We drank a toast to innocence,
We drank a toast to now.
And tried to reach beyond the emptiness,
But neither one knew how.
We drank a toast to innocence,
We drank a toast to time.
Reliving in our eloquence,
Another 'auld lang syne'..." - Dan Fogelberg


"And its been a long December and there's reason to believe
Maybe this year will be better than the last.
I can't remember all the times I tried to tell my myself
To hold on to these moments as they pass. . ." -Counting Crowes



I'll be spending the waning hours of 2007 surrounded by two-thirds of my adoring children. . . well, the five year old still thinks I'm the stuff.

We were able to secure the presence of the younger teens by bribing them with twenty bucks-worth of firecrackers, but the oldest is going to be working (or so he claims.) As much as I love to have all four in one place at one time, it is becoming harder to do so. I am the "auld-acquaintance" they're talking about. . .the mom of a teenager, never brought to mind. Have a drink for me, will ya?

I am not one for reflection or resolutions. . .I try to take each day as it comes (it hurts less that way.) It is exciting and frightening to be alive in 2007 and I am sure that things will keep moving along thusly in 2008 (although boring and uneventful would be a nice break for a while.)

Ah, it's not that bad. 2007 has been 365 ordinary days, with a smattering of festivity, a joyful reunion and a heartbreaking loss and a lot of "keep on moving" in-between. No use in worrying about the days that are past, or the days that are coming. . .they'll come and go anyway.

Tonight, I will simply enjoy the moment (with MOST of my children): the smell of gunpowder, the taste of cheap champagne, the sound of laughter. . .same auld lang syne. . .

So, here's a toast to innocence. Have fun. See you next year!

No comments: