10.06.2007

Otto Pilot

"Lord, I got to keep on moving. . ." - Bob Marley



One of my all-time favorite movies is "Airplane."

"Surely you can't be serious!"

I am serious. And stop calling me "Shirley."

An obscure and oft-overlooked character was "Otto" - as in "Otto Pilot." He had no lines, but his mere presence onscreen provided cohesion for the entire plot. Just a big, lovable, inflatable guy with a strategically placed valve. . .

But Otto is more than just another handsome movie star. Some days, he is my salvation.

Smack dab in the middle of my Freaky Friday, I dropped in to the salon for some long-overdue highlights. I sat in the chair, and the guilt over my foray into the world of personal gratification weighed heavily as my stylist worked his magic. "Curses! Foiled again!"

Despite these little moments of suspension, life goes on around us. I talked with the Magic Man about some of the struggles in his life - and it left me with a great deal of respect for the person he is.

Notwithstanding the fact that externally it appears we exist at opposite ends of the spectrum, I think we're probably more alike than different. We both think my husband is hot. And we both have the same contingency plan: Otto Pilot.

No matter what comes our way, ole' Otto kicks in and does his thing, propelling us beyond the crises, sustaining our reserves and enabling us to meet life's events with a resounding, "NEXT!"

This morning, I dedicate my blog to the Magician . . and to the others for whom Otto is more than a large piece of heavy-duty plastic with a smile stamped on his face. For us, Otto Pilot is a way of life.

Lord, we've all got to keep on moving. . .

No comments: