6.27.2007

You Can't Have Any Pudding!

"We don't need no education.
We don't need no thought control -
No dark sarcasm in the classroom.
Teachers leave them kids alone." - Pink Floyd


Oh happy day. My 13-year-old son has finished his last course in his Virtual School and we are done for the year. He'll start again in August, and we'll do some reading over the summer, but we are formally done with formality!

I was so scared to homeschool when we first started, but I had run out of choices. I felt that there weren't any options for him in the public or private schools. I couldn't leave him to a system that was more concerned about his test scores than his education.

The first year, we muddled through a hodge-podge of Saxon Math, books I'd read when I was twelve (well, not "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret." - not his speed, although that was my fave), science experiments, history lessons, Brain Pop videos and EdHelper worksheets. . .then this year I discovered FLVS.net (Florida Virtual School) with their middle and high school course offerings, individualized pace chart, innovative multi-media lessons and one-on-one instruction, it proved to be a Godsend for us.

And now, despite the setbacks of the broken arm, surgery and physical therapy, we are done. We have eaten our meat, now bring on the pudding!!!

Schools out for summer!!!

No comments: