6.18.2007

Hold the Wheel and Drive

"Sometimes I feel the fear of uncertainty stinging clear
And I can't help but ask myself how much I'll let the fear take the wheel and steer.
It's driven me before. It seems to have a vague,
Haunting mass appeal.
Lately I'm beginning to find that I should be the one behind the wheel. . ." - Incubus

The reason my daughter wakes up in the mornings is because she thinks she is going to drive. The reason she agrees to go anywhere with me is because she thinks she is going to drive. Remember when the idea of driving was fun??

I live on a busy street that didn't used to be so busy. Over the years, I have watched hundreds of thousands of people pass in their cars. Most on cell phones, many speeding, some reading or eating or applying makeup. . . all ages, races, social classes. . .all driving their lives away in front of my eyes.

Have you ever taken the kids to some practice or event and forgotten the trip? Found yourself in the Wal Mart parking lot as if guided there by homing device? It seems some days that all I do is drive around and around, all over town, with "If You're Happy and You Know It" fizzling on the bass notes in the background.

When I finally make it home, I pull into the driveway and just sit there, waiting to catch up to myself.

Grabbing the keys as I walk out the door has become habit, too.

"Where you goin', Mom?"

"Crazy, wanna come??"

I love to take Scenic Highway to go anywhere, if I can. Much to the dismay of my fellow commuters, I often slow down and do the speed limit. We comment on the water, which is either "smooth as glass" or "rough as a cob." We enjoy the flowers in the yards, how cute the East Hill Business District looks, the kids fishing off the Bayou Texar bridge. . .it's nice to slow down sometimes.

This all having been said, it is time for me to get on the road again. Maybe we can all take a second today and think about what is steering us as we drive.

"I'm beginning to find that when I drive myself my light is found."

Slow down. . . and have fun.

No comments: