6.20.2007

Driving Confessions

Okay, so FINALLY we may get something done about bad drivers. A higher source has sent down the final word on rudeness and road rage.

The Vatican issued a set of ten commandments for Christian commuters (although it couldn't hurt those crazy Buddhists to slow down a little, too!)

I am SO VERY CRITICAL of bad drivers. . .as long as I am not doing the same thing at the time (I am trying to stay off the cell phone, I swear! So, stop calling me!)I couldn't help but wonder how I would measure up to the new guidelines.



1. "You shall not kill." Nope, blew it on the first one. Dang squirrels!

2. "The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm." Well, there WAS that fourteen hour trip with four talkative kids and a gassy three-legged dog. . .can't commune much more than that! But I guess I'll have to stop flinging my flip flop at them.

3. "Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events." If I had carried a spare pair of shoes in my car, I wouldn't have shown up at the band concert in my house slippers. I was pregnant. I was in a hurry. Give me a break!

4. "Be charitable and help your neighbor in need, especially victims of accidents." I'm definitely covered on this one. I've been cleaning up other people's accidents for almost twenty years!

5. "Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin." Sorry, Dear, no more "parking" at the beach.

6. "Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so." Ah-hah! Next time my fifteen year old asks me why I won't let her drive, I'll have a new reason.

7. "Support the families of accident victims." Consider me your Wonder-bra, brah.

8. "Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness." And all of those attorney's fees ought to liberate their bank accounts, too!

9. "On the road, protect the more vulnerable party." And I would say that party is always the Mom.

10. "Feel responsible toward others." I am a MOM for Heaven's sake! I already feel responsible for EVERYTHING.

Okay, so, as usual, perhaps the scales of Karma will tip ever-so-slightly in my favor. As long as they do, I'm going to call it okay and just keep plugging along.

I would hope that, whatever authority motivates our spirits, these common-sense and courtesy-focused guidelines would give us pause for thought before we turn the key next time.

I'm going to have to be extra good today, too, because I don't think I really want to give up number five. :D

Have fun!

No comments: