5.18.2007

Just Breathe!

"And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table. No one can find the rewind button, boys. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe... just breathe. . . " - Anna Nalick




Fifteen years ago today my husband stood at my bedside encouraging me to breathe. You know, the eternal unanswered question of motherhood: "Hee hee who? Hee hee who?"


I'd been there before, I would be there again. . .breathing.


Breathing is the simplest human function and yet our most underused resource, in my opinion. Proper use of breath control can be a parent's salvation.


As cliche as it may sound, the pinnacle of parenting advice has turned out to be the "count to ten" rule. Just stand there and breathe. It gives you time to collect your thoughts AND scares the hell out of your teenagers!


The best cure for a boo-boo is usually to just blow it off. (Although I DO have my own parking space at the Emergency Room.)


Sometimes, you need to wake up and smell the coffee.


My most effective excercise plan: running around the playground. It usually works best if it leaves you completely out of breath!


Whether all that huffing and puffing during labor actually helps or just makes you dizzy, at least it sets a good starting point for team parenting.


And when I stopped and really looked at the beautiful young woman my daughter has become, she took my breath away.

And then she said, "Quit staring at me, Mom! Gah! Does my makeup look okay? How's my hair? I want to look good on my license!"


Her Dad is taking her to get a learner's permit for her birthday. (See what I mean about that team parenting thing?) Now it's HIS turn to hold his breath!!!!