8.15.2009

A Pill in Capsule Form

"If I could save time in a bottle, the first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day 'til eternity passes away, just to spend them with you. . ." - Jim Croce


Tonight we'll be attending the festivities at the celebration of Pensacola's 450th Anniversary. Of course the music and fireworks will be fun, but I am really looking forward to making a contribution to the time capsule, which will be opened in another 50 years.

I can only imagine what the future holds.

In the brief forty-one years that I've been alive, I've witnessed everything from people taking off to go to the moon to the mind-consumption of the internet, where we can do it all without ever leaving our living room. Our tvs have gotten bigger and flatter and our vehicles smaller and rounder. We've gone from living simple lives to having everything we desired and now back to the basics again.

Last night we stood in our back yard and looked at the stars. Halfway Between (10 & 20) and Hubbalicious debated which clump of heavenly bodies comprised the scorpion while 7th Heaven and I just stood and took in the beauty of the twinkling lights. . .the same lights that people have looked at and wondered about since there have been people. Maybe in fifty years, our grandchildren and great-grandchildren will be out there somewhere, seeing them close-up.

I've got to get to work on my time capsule entry. I like to imagine being at the opening in 2059. . .

"And our honored guest today is world-renowned author and humorist, 91-year-old Lara McKnight, who has beamed in from her Island Retreat with her twenty-seven obnoxious grandchildren to read her time-capsule submission. Doesn't she look stunning in that bikini? Let's give her a hand, folks. . ."

It could happen.

Hope to see you at the party tonight! Have fun.

2 comments:

MOMSWEB said...

I don't think I'll be around to see this, so I'm glad I know ya!

Kelly L said...

Great post!
Love,
Kelly