3.17.2008

Word Up!

"Wave your hands in the air
Like you don’t care.
Glide by the people as they start to look and stare.
Do you dance, do your dance quick!
Mama, come on baby, tell me what’s the Word.
Ah – word up, everybody say. . .
When you hear the call you got to get it underway.
Word up, it’s the code word,
No matter where you say it,
You’ll know that you’ll be heard." - Cameo (or Korn)


The word of the day is "indolent." As in, "Get your indolent butt up out of the bed, Fred!"

Teenagers love to try that whole, "You can't make me!" thing out every now and again.

They're right. I can't MAKE you do anything. I never could. Oh, I could lift you and toss you about when you were smaller, but I never could really MAKE you do what I asked you to do.

However, I can PREVENT you from doing certain things. Like watching television, talking on the phone, heck, even OWNING a cell phone, etc. etc. Because I am and older and have the POWER. . .in my name.

I love the scene from "Fried Green Tomatoes" where Kathy Bates is waiting for the parking space. Two rude young women in a convertible zip in and holler, "Face it, we're younger and faster!"

Kathy waits while they go inside, then proceeds to smash the tar out of their zippy little vehicle with her own behemoth. The girls come running back out of the store screaming, "What are you doing??"

Kathy very calmly looks at them and says, "Face it, I'm older and I have better insurance."

Yep, I'm giving them the word this morning. Enough of your indolent attitudes. . .word up!

No comments: