2.29.2008

Weird Is All Relative

"Worry is like a rocking chair--it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere." - Anonymous



Sometimes seven days can make one weak.

And reflecting on the last week leaves me in Awwww of myself (yes, I know how I spelled it.)

I have a tendancy to "overthink" everything I do. I always want to look at the other side of things, consider all the angles. It's so easy to view things in black and white and ignore the subtle shades of gray. . .I just want to cover my generous behind, you know?

I live in a world of "what ifs" - what if I would have homeschooled Double Decades? What if I had listened to more classical music while they were in utero? What if Michael Jackson is just misunderstood??

Okay, you get my point. Second-guessing is often second-nature for a parent. But like I told my own Dad yesterday, we all just do the best we can. (Dad, I'm almost forty and I am not on crack. . .you are a fine parent!)

With my decision to "wreck" the life of Fifteen for a Moment, I am actually becoming more comfortable with it the more thinking I do. I've been surprised at the number of parents who have come to me this week asking me - yeah, ME - for advice, saying "You know, I've secretly been thinking about doing the same thing. . .but I couldn't get past the 'weirdness' of it."

Weird is all relative (and believe me, I have some weird relatives!) - you're not going to "mess your kids up" by homeschooling them, or by leaving them in the public schools. Your kids are going to be who they are - what homeschooling is offering me is a chance to do what I think is right for my children. I am not changing the education, I am changing the environment.

And if it does turn out that I've made all the wrong choices and flaked them all out. . .well, they can always make money on the talk-show circuit.

Have fun!

No comments: