1.17.2008

That's Entertainment

"Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign towers.
Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself churn.
Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood letting.
Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate.
Light a candle, light a votive. Step down, step down.
Watch your heel crush, crushed. Uh-oh, this means no fear cavalier.
Renegade steer clear! A tournament, a tournament, a tournament of lies.
Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline.

It's the end of the world as we know it
And I feel fine. . ." - R.E.M.


A moment of realization came to me as I sat watching "American Idol" with my family last night: the world as we know it is coming to an end.

For entertainment, we sit around and watch Randy, Simon and Paula make fun of people's talent (or lack thereof.) The commercial breaks were even more enticing. Soon, we'll be able to enjoy our fellow man (or woman) as they squirm under interrogation while hooked to a lie detector - for money.

Then came the news promo about how our community is mourning over the "Tragedy on the Bridge. . . " complete with fancy graphic and pictures of the children's heartbroken mother sobbing, rescue workers sobbing, little kids sobbing. . .

Yes, it is an horriffic situation - but do we need to see the poor woman's reaction plastered all over the media? Certainly, we have all been touched by this terrible murder and disgusted by the whack who killed his own children, but are we so hungry for a "good story" that we are overdoing it a little?

Then again, consider what constitutes "entertainment" these days - shows about murder (SVU, CSI, etc.), "reality" shows about spoiled people with few morals and fewer bouts of conscience, "news" shows with their special graphics and in-depth coverage.

I don't know. . .maybe "American Idol" isn't so bad in comparison. Offer me alternatives and I decline. . .

No comments: