12.13.2007

I Want Candy

"Summer has come and passed.
The innocent can never last.
Wake me up when September ends. . ." - Green Day




My Step-Dad always talks about the FIVE P's. . .Prior Planning Prevents Piss-poor Performance.

From his purchasing this computer for me a few years ago so that I could stay in touch with my Mom and work on my writing, to his suggestion that Mom adopt the two kittens who are now giving her comfort in his absence, he had his ducks in a row in so many ways.

So I imagine he's been rolling his eyes as I have worried myself to pieces over telling the five year-old what happened to her Grandpa. "Just get it over with, Lollipop. . ." I can almost hear his exasperation.

Today was the day. I took her to the park. Before we got out of the car, I said, "Hey, I need to talk to you about something."

"Ohhhhhhh! Can't you just tell me later, Mom?"

No, because I am too much of a wuss and we need to do it now.

"Just give me a minute. Okay, Grandpa talked to God and he had this deal with Him that, when his body stopped working, that he would leave it behind and go to Heaven."

"Well, it IS working okay. They fixed it at the hospital, right?" She asked.

"It was working okay for a while, but then it stopped working. And so, when it quit working, Grandpa left it here and went to Heaven."

"You mean he died?"

"Yes."

"Oh. Can I go play now?"

Relieved, I followed her to the swings, then back to where the other kids were playing. After a spirited game of hide-and-go-seek, which evolved into a simpler "You can't get me!" we headed for refreshment at the Circle K.

"Hey Mom, what about the present I was going to get him. . .Grandpa?"

"Well, you can still get a present for Grandma. She is very sad right now."

"I'm sad, too, Mommy. . .he is my Grandpa and I love him."

"I love him, too, baby."

"Can I get some candy?"

"No."

And that may be the way the dialog continues for a while. When it comes to your kids, honesty is the best policy. They understand, but they also have the advantage of innocence as a cushion.

And let's be honest, being sad makes me want to eat my weight in candy. So, does anyone have a Skittle????

No comments: