10.03.2007

Wishing Don't Make It So

"The world's a roller coaster
And I am not strapped in.
Maybe I should hold with care,
But my hands are busy in the air saying:

I wish you were here
I wish you were. . ." - Incubus


"Got to stop wishin'
Got to go fishin'
I'm down to rock-bottom again. . ." - Jimmy Buffett



Yeah, wishin' don't make it so. . .but it would still be nice to keep all of the people I loved in one place.

When "Wish You Were Here" came out, I had come to visit my family while my husband was on a fishing trip with his dad. I remember sitting at the beach one night and singing this song and how gut-wrenchingly lonely I felt at that moment.

Now that the kids are growing up, they are with me less and less. I sometimes catch myself missing those days when we had our tiny little boat and our tiny little kids and I could get everyone in one tiny little place at one time.

Having another child on the back-end didn't leave us much time to have everyone all-together, and since my oldest is on his own, I have considered having a cardboard cutout made to keep with us. . . "This is what my WHOLE family looks like."

I guess it's natural for the ones we love to move on. . .maybe by the time we get over that, we're ready to move on ourselves. I wish I could ask my Grandma her thoughts on the matter.

Boy, do I ever wish you were here!

No comments: