7.30.2007

It's All Who You Know. . .

"I'm one wild and craaaaaaazy guy." - Steve Martin



Before we discovered Virtual School (did y'all hear that angelic chorus?), I had to come up with homeschooling stuff on my own. My son enjoys history - and Pensacola's downtown is a treasure trove of museums and historical sites. A lot of cool stuff has happend here in the last five hundred years! (And next year, we're going to WIN that Fiesta Treasure Hunt.)


(Note: Today's News Journal has an article about a new Historical Tour program at the visitor's center - I need to do some more investigating, but I'll get back on this!)


I read one morning that the UWF Archaeological Department was going to be doing underground mapping of some of the "lost" graves in St. Michael's Cemetery. Knowing that would be something right up his alley, we loaded up the car and headed downtown.

Margot Stringfield was kind enough to explain how the mapping worked (much like sonar.) She invited us to stay and watch the students do their thing. We meandered through the cemetery, reading the headstones and imaging what the families were like.

The results of their efforts can be found at the St. Michael's Cemetary Project website: http://www.uwf.edu/gis/smc/

Stories about some of Pensacola's earliest families can also be found at: http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/specialsections/history/index.shtml

You can imagine my excitement when I read that Mrs. Stringfield's daughter married actor Steve Martin over the weekend. I woke my sleeping teen with the news this morning.

"Great. Can I go back to sleep now?"

"Come on! This means you and Steve practically best friends!"

Exaggerated snoring. . .

"Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!"

Have fun!

No comments: